In Speech 101 class in college, I had to memorize a passage in the Bible and present it to the class. I made a powerpoint presentation that highlighted all of my thoughts and tidbits. I chose the passage Psalm 46 because it has ALWAYS been my absolute favorite passage in the Bible. That is a big statement to make, but it has always represented for me, what I believe the Bible is meant to represent for Christians. Truth. Reassurance. Love. Direction. I revisit this passage and rediscover WHY I fell in love with it so long ago.
(NIV)
1. God is our refuge and strength. An ever-present help in trouble.
- To know He is there... within reach. To grasp hold of His mighty hand and know He is strong enough to never let go... even IF we try.
2. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.
3. though it's waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah.
4. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5. God is within her, she will not fall. God will help her at break of day.
6. Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall. He lifts his voice, the earth melts.
- Powerful and so relevant to today's world. God never changes, He was and is and is to come. We change, the world changes but praise the Lord He does not. The troubles that we face in this world are simply a sign of how desolate we are without Christ to redeem us. Thank you God for the promise that one day You will save us from this world and receive us into Your kingdom.
7. The Lord Almighty is with us. The God of Jacob is our fortress.
8. Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolations He has brought on the earth.
9. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth, He breaks the bow and shatters the spear, He burns the shields with fire.
10. Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
- This is my "life verse" if you will. When I was a teenager I decided to come up with a sermon in my head on this one verse. That sound so weird, but yeah I was a thinker. Haha. I thought to myself, "If there were ONE thing I could convey to everyone around me, everyone I know it would be this: to be STILL and remember God is God and we are not." This verse has changed my life throughout my life. Where would I be without this promise... I cannot even say. To stop. Listen. Open up. Let God do what He wants to do in my heart without my supidity getting in the way.
11. The Lord Almighty is with us, the God of Jacob is our fortress.
- In studying about this particular passage and all that it is prefacing and detailing - the promise rings true time and time again.
I marvel at the clear pictures painted in my mind of the natural beauty of the earth after reading this. God's creation has always been something so marvelous to me. To think of how good our God is to give us such beauty to behold every single day is such a blessing. We can never take that for granted. I love reading all of my fellow bloggers personal intepretations of spritual passages or even contraversial topics. I apprecite the postings. We are all different.... but how often we fail to realize how very much we all have in common...
No comments:
Post a Comment