Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Leave something good in every day"
- Dolly Parton




Dolly has hit it. Hasn't she? Leaving something good in every single day we are alive. A day can pass and quickly become 2 days which if we are not careful, manifests into a week of intentionally wasting opportunities to do good. To leave good behind us, long after we are gone. Profound and possibly the easiest idea in the world to forget. I can remember to scold you when you've hurt me. I can remember to put up a fence around my heart and make you feel rejected. I can remember to notice the flaws that make you imperfectly beautiful and better still- point them out. I can even remember what you have forgotten and remind you of your error. But can I...... can I remember to leave you some good. More often than not, my memory fails me and my human nature baracades my thoughts. For every one time that I remember to scold, retreat, ignore, criticize, blame and burden, I must not forget goodness times three. All we have is this one day we are given. Today is a gift? Today is our only gift worth opening and never returning, tags attached. We are useful human beings with a human spirit that is capable of changing the entire day of another human being. Simply by leaving some good behind... You are not likely to remember me when I do and that is ok. I'd rather be forgotten for doing good, then leave a bad taste in your mouth by not. Can I help you today? Can I soothe a burn with my words? Or perhaps calm a storm simply by listening as you work through the thunderous turmoil. Can I help you today?
Let he without sin cast the first stone... can I forgive you today?
Love prospers when a fault is forgiven... can I let my love speak louder than my judgement today?

The Bible says not to talk about tomorrow as though we already have it in our pocket for we do not know what tomorrow will bring to our table. What we do know- is that we have this moment and I want to encourage anyone who reads this to use your moment for eternal goodness. What happened yesterday is worlds away. What happens today, resonates in eternity. There is no such thing as earthly good because we do not live for this earth. It's simply our fancy little layover flight until we meet our final destination. So let's get together and do some GODLY good for mankind. Leave your goodness behind when you go. It never runs out. The well will never run dry...

No comments: