Friday, May 21, 2010

It's not griping if you smile when you say it.






This entry is going to be a bit of a hodge podge of blabberings if you will. A lot has taken place since my last entry and when too much transpires, I lose interest in blogging about it. Overwhelmed much? Yes.

May 14th came and went and here I sit on my one year older toosh trying to figure out how in the world 27 years have passed. Wasn't I just in high school crushing on every single boy that breathed air? When that phase of my adolescence ended, wasn't I just falling in love with a really tall, fresh and sweet farm boy? Wasn't I just in college, figuring out life and love and wondering what was to come? Wasn't I just sitting in on a blanket in a clearing, surrounded by trees when that tall, sweet farm boy pulled a diamond ring out of his pocket? Wasn't I just looking him in the eyes, repeating vows through tears and seeing the rest of my life in front of me? Wasn't I just in Mexico? Wasn't I just in Maryland in the worst apartment you've ever seen pinching every penny to make ends meet? Wasn't I just in the midst of the best move I'd ever make, discovering small-town living in NC?
I was. But those times are so far gone and it blows my mind that we've been in North Carolina four and a half years now. Where did my mid-twenties go? Where did yours go?

I had a full circle moment the other day and it just so happens that it was right around my birthday. Perhaps the two had nothing to do with one another, but I'd like to think they did. As a pre-teen and teenager, my outlet was writing. I'd write everyday... poems, journal entries, songs, letters that I'd never send or even sketches. Wherever I could find a book with blank pages, I would fill them. There are remnants here and there from my childhood musings and the other day, Chris found an entire notebook with every page filled. So, in solitude, I grabbed the notebook and a blanket and began turning the pages of my youth. Almost immediately, I discovered a page where I had scribbled about what I wanted to do with my life. As any 13 year old would do, I made a table and weighed the pros and cons of two different career paths: child therapist or teacher. (!!!)

Suffice it to say, I looked up from the notebook and totally had a MOMENT. You know those moments that you can't really put into words, so I certainly am not going to try. Wow. At the age of 13, I had already found my calling in life. When I say it was a full circle moment, that is because at this point in my life... I have done both. It was so amazing to peer into the mind of 13 year old me and see things that I have seen all my life... the things that were important to me then are important to me now. Older... but the same. The very same.

Have you ever had a full circle moment in your life? What were you like as a teenager?

Some "THEN AND NOW" for your viewing pleasure! :) Oh boy.















































































2 comments:

emily @ cabin fervor said...

I still don't know what I want to do with my life... I didn't know at 13, and I still don't. I guess I go full circle every day! :-P

In fact, I envy people who figured things out at a young age. Maybe I'm meant to try different things? Maybe I'm meant to be flexible?

However, I too filled up notebooks and wrote a lot throughout middle and high school. Today, at 26 years old, 90% of my job involves writing. I guess that part of it I got right!

Lindsey said...

Well there is something to be said for having a variety of talents and allowing God/life to take you on a journey of self-discovery every single day. I love that! You obviously are meant to try new things and be flexible! Not everyone can be a risk-taker and I think it's equally as intriguing.