Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Laundromat

Well today was quite a big FIRST for me! I took Landon to the laundromat! DUN DUN DUN!


I'm a firm believer that you can take babies almost anywhere and then there is an ugly gap for a year or two where taking them in public is more of a hassle than it's worth and then at 3 or 4, you get back to the stage where you can take them places again. Of course, not all the time, not every situation... there are exceptions. I also believe, if you disagree with this... you really might not have had a toddler yet or too much time has passed and you've forgotten :)


Even with a gem like mine (so I've been told).

So I had been wanting to take my king-sized down comforter to get dry cleaned but couldn't bring myself to pay the $25. We have done it in the past, but with a new little one about to enter into our wallets... ahem... hearts :), we need to save where we can! I had been debating whether or not Landon was mature enough for such an excursion. I asked my mom when she started bringing my brother to the laundromat and she said he was about Landon's age. She said she just let him run around while they waited. Hm. So I knew I wasn't quite ready for THAT.


Yet, I decided he was old enough and we loaded up and headed out. I had my cut up strawberries, ice pack, orange juice, ham sandwhich and toys in tow. They really do need all of the above... really. I loaded the large comforter into the trunk and the stroller and away we went! I'm a planner through and through but when it comes to errands, if it aint on a whim, it aint getting done. So... 85 degrees or not, we were going to sweat our way through this excursion. We got there, and I loaded Landon into his stroller and we went inside to change over some bills into quarters. Being the child that he is, my wonderful and darling child, he immediately begins to use all of his monkey abilities to get out of his stroller. Strollers, carseats, buggies (or carts for you northerners) were only created to be escaped. This was news to me. How about you? I chuckle to myself when I see a 1-2 year old sleeping peacefully in his stroller as his mommy peruses through Target, at her LEISURE. Really? What world do they live in where toddlers sleep in strollers instead of use their monkey abilities to get out? Hm... I'll ask next time.


So anyway, I loaded my comforter into the wash, along with my 16 quarters (yes, that's $4) and then I saw on a chair with Landon beside me in his stroller. We sat for a minute... both of us debating our next move. I win. I decided to walk us across the parking lot to Rite Aid to pass away some of the 30 minute wash cycle. This was a good idea. I got a bottled drink, walked around in the air conditioned building for a few minutes and decided to head back to the 95 degree laundromat. When we got there, the machine said 18 more minutes. Alright! My plan ended up being a 12 minute plan! I wish I knew how to dilly dally better?! I sat down again and as the wiggle worm began working his magic, I decided to go for plan "strawberries and juice" which was a big hit. An old lady sat a few seats down and began asking me questions about him, as older women do :) I answered anything she wanted to know and she enjoyed watching him eat. It was pleasant... and hot, but kind of nice. When the wash cycle was complete, I had originally thought I would go ahead and dry it there, but it's so hot and sunny today that I decided to bring it home and have Chris hang it over the clothes line to dry. Ahhh... it's going to smell divine tonight when we crawl into bed! I loaded Landon back into the car and we headed home! I felt... accomplished? Successful? Sweaty?

:)

I guess overall, I just feel happy to even be able to take Landon to a laundromat in the middle of the day. I feel like I wouldn't trade it for anything.




Landon holding on for dear life as the old woman talked to him... and holding an empty hand sanitizer ;)

No comments: