Dear Landon,
My baby, you MUST be tired! You had such a busy weekend visiting your friends and family in Maryland! I know it must seem strange that we strap you into that mean, freedom-fighting carseat for 7 hours and force you to sleep in a bed that is not your own. You might think daddy and I are crazy, or maybe just cruel. You may have even wondered if you'd ever see your home again. I don't really know what you wondered, because you are a 15 month old baby who can't tell me what you wonder. I realize you will never remember these trips that we have taken you on thus far in your short little life. This is your 4th big, long-distance trip so far and I'd say that for a preemie- you sure do get around! Daddy and I would not have imagined that we would take you so many places, while you were yet a little 3 pound baby in the hospital. Our only thoughts were to bundle you up and protect you from the big bad world full of germs and danger. Well... we did. For a while. Then as you began to get bigger and stronger, we wanted to share your beautiful soul with everyone we possibly could. In our minds, everyone deserved to know and love Landon because he will do nothing except bring joy and many many smiles wherever he goes. Who wouldn't want to share that?! :)
Taking you to Maryland (where mommy and daddy grew up and got married!), is something we will do with you, for the rest of your life. I suppose one day you will be old enough to determine you may or may not want to go and that is ok. But for now, we will take you because 21 years of our lives are wrapped up there and that is a gift I want you to open time and time again for the rest of your life. Your great grandmother will not be here forever. Your great grandfather has already gone up to Heaven and didn't get to meet you, but I think he knows. He would appreciate your blonde hair and light eyes and would say that is the German in you. He would love that about you. Your great grandmother's greatest and biggest joy is to see you and know you. You are the shining star that she carries around in her pocket. The glow is so bright, everyone can see it. I hope you will always know that. All of your aunts, uncles and cousins (and you do have a lot!) beam when you are around little man. They love you, Landon. They watched you grow through pictures mommy would send. They prayed for you. They feel like they have played a role in who you have become and we feel that way too. Your family is part of you. You may not remember these trips, but they will. You may miss your home, your dogs, your bed... but when you're away, they miss you just as much. Taking you to see Brynlea and Nolan was such a highlight for mommy. See, mommy and their mommy grew up together. We lived 2 streets away and on the days when it got dark too early and our mom's were nervous about us walking those 2 streets, one of us would walk to the end of the street and watch the other one walk. Sometimes, we would just walk to one another and finish the walk together. I wish I could tell you how many times mommy walked that walk, but I fear it would be too many to count. I hope that you have a best friend like that one day... and maybe it will even be brynlea or nolan. Mommy and daddy will continue to take you to Maryland so that has a chance to happen.
When you are a little bit older, we will take you to the church that we got married in. We will take you to the spot that daddy proposed to mommy. We will take you to the church where we first met and show you the parking lot that we stood and talked for hours. We will show you the two houses that mommy grew up in, which will be easy because they are right next door to one another. We will show you the schools we went to, the places we frequented... you will know Maryland. Mommy and daddy wouldn't trade raising you and your little brother here in NC for anything in the world. We think we've found our own little slice of happiness here and we can't wait to share it with you both. One day though, you will understand why we strapped you in and took you on the road. It wasn't to torture you. It is to share you with everyone there who loves you. It is for you to know them and never feel the distance. It is to give you glimpses into your mommy and daddy's love story. It is a part of us, and a part of you and we love you so much that we want to do our very best to keep you close to everyone that matters in your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment