Saturday, April 24, 2010

Good is better and better is best.


I think when people are unhappy, sometimes it's because they don't know how to make the best of a situation. There is a lot of stock to the expression, "Just make the best of it". If we truly apply that statement to our lives, I think the bad would be manageable, the mediocre would be good and the great would be amazing.


When I was 18, I moved out of state to go to college in Virginia. A lot of people didn't understand why I would want to attend a college where your hugs are TIMED and if you are caught out of dress code, you are carded. To this day, people say, "I could have never gone to that school" and that is OK. Maybe someone else couldn't make the best of a situation that had a lot more positive features than negative ones. For every annoying white glove room inspection, there was an amazing relationship with a professor that grew from genuine concern for my well-being. For every rated "R" movie we weren't allowed to see, there was prayer in every single classroom. Fore every time you wanted to hang out in a guy friends dorm but couldn't, there were lifelong friendships being built on a Christian foundation. You take the annoying with the good and you make the best of it. Going away to college was the best decision I ever made and I know for sure that I would not be the person I am without doing so. Learning how to live without your parents is the gift that keeps on giving. My family is my rock and we are all very close. It did not bring me joy to be away from them, but it helped me discover who I am apart from them.


Since that life-changing freshman year of college, I moved home to go to community college for one year, moved back to Virginia to live with 2 roommates in an apt, moved back to Maryland to prepare for my wedding and moved in with my new husband. Now, I've moved to North Carolina and here's hoping this move is permanent! There were bumps along that way that made every situation I found myself in seem a little tiresome at times. It was either be miserable during those times or make the best of it. In my opinion, making the best of a situation simply means to count your blessings. My mom always says that if you think about all you have to be thankful for, you'll never have a reason to gripe. I catch myself in this trap more often than not- griping about this or that and then chastising myself for being so ungrateful. I think we all fall into this trap from time to time. The reality is, if we believe in Jesus and walk with God, we will never get what we truly deserve. God loved us too much to let that happen.


I want to encourage you that during the hard times (and we all have them and I'm sure would rather not divulge them) just try your best to "make the best of it". It probably will get worse before it gets better and you might have to dig pretty deep to find those things to be thankful for. They are there. You will find them.


Thank God for North Carolina and thank God for picking me up and dropping me here. Are you thankful today?

2 comments:

emily @ cabin fervor said...

What a proper Southern house you have! It's lovely.

I am thankful today! Sometimes I feel like my whole life in Maryland is "making the best of it" -- mostly during those hard winter months. It was hard to keep an upbeat attitude (I admittedly did poorly at it this winter) but it's true that when you count your blessings you can't help but be thankful and turn your attitude around. I'm trying! Thanks for the reminder that I need to keep at it every day.

Lindsey said...

Well your blog uplifts a lot of people!! Even when we feel like we have nothing left to give, we still uplift somehow in some way. And you do.

No one sees the roses through the thorns ALL the time and I'd say you have done an amazing job keeping your head above water in this entire remod!

Could I possibly use anymore cliche phrases? Haha.