Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bits and Pieces




I see it's been 2 months since I've last blogged an update and I'm kind of bummed about that! We've grown a little...

Above black and white photo courtesy of my sister-in-law, Robin!

4 month Dr. visit was today which means 2 shots and an oral dose of something (I'm not neglectful I swear, but who can think of these things in the moment?!) Landon was a good boy, for the most part but ended up being very fussy most of the day. You just never know with these things! I am learning him more and more every single day...
I know now that right before he falls asleep, he cries HARD and then he's out cold. I can tell he's getting sleepy by the way he curls his hands up around his face and flexes a fist over and over, trying feverishly to suck his thumb. If he gets it in there, he'll be out in seconds. I'm happy if we get two good naps during the day around 10:30 and again in the afternoon sometime. He probably doesn't nap or sleep as much as most babies at this age, but that's ok. He's not a baby that you can lay on a blanket while you fold laundry. He requires a LOT of stimulation. I never understood before I had a baby, how they can "require" so much :) However, now that I have a little one who is a little high maintenance, I'll do whatever it takes!
Hmm... 4 months... he is still considered more of a 2 month old based on size and development. To me this just means he will be my little baby even longer :) He weighs a whopping 11.9 pounds and is 23 inches long. On the 4 month chart, this puts him in the 3rd percentile, but for 2 months he would be close to the 50th percentile. I'm proud of my little angel. I know you can't tell at all :) Chris and I dropped by the hospital earlier this week to take care of some paper work while Gigi and Grandpop babysat.
You read that correctly. Landon is now being BABYSAT by his grandparents :) We all knew I'd get there at some point... cut me some slack jack. So when I went into the hospital, immediately I'm greeted by the desk ladies who seemed so excited to see me and ask how we were doing. It was kind of surprising to me because I always assume staff members see so many patients on a given day that remembering someone would be impossible. I'll be honest, it was nice to be reminded of the kindness I was shown, and to see familiar faces but with those faces comes some difficult memories for me. One of the ladies at the front desk sat with me and tried to get me checked in when I could hardly walk, face in hands, swollen like marshmallow and sick as can sick can be. I'm pretty sure she also sat with me post-pardum at 2am, trying to call my Dr. when I fell very ill with a severe infection. That place served such a bigger purpose than just a hospital for me. It was my living room, my bedroom, my friends, my family, my life... for 5 weeks and 5 additional hospital visits, one being 5 days. Lot of 5's. I guess when I recap those events, I'm not too surprised they remembered me :) I didn't walk into the NICU because I don't think I could and be OK. It would be nice to say hello to some of Landon's nurses... maybe one day. Sometimes when I'm not being as positive as I need to be, I think the next time I'll step foot in there will be when I deliver my next baby and then I have to catch myself and pray that I'll bring my next baby HOME with me. In Jesus name.
There are things that Landon does as a big 4-monther that I find to be so incredibly darling. It's a tragedy that he will not do these things forever :) When I smile a great big smile, he gets so excited and while he isn't laughing yet, he gives me a big gummy grin and blows bubbles. Rocking him at night is such a beautiful time that I get to share with him and I know I'll always remember it. His breathing gets deeper, face a little pale, and before I know it he has drifted off into baby sleepy land. Oh he'll wake up when I transfer him to his crib... and sometimes it's hard to get him back to sleep but he always does. At least once a day, I lay him on the floor in his nursery and read to him from the supply of books I was given at my baby shower. Everyone gave me their favorite childhood book, so I enjoy reading them to him! He coos and babbles back the entire time and he really loves it! I hope he loves to read as much as I do. You know... I just hope he loves to do the things he loves and finds many passions in life. Right now, he's passionate about figuring out thumb-sucking... ten years from now it may be baseball, or an instrument, or reading... or anything! The future is exciting to me :) Even during the difficult times, there is so much to be thankful for... gosh is there ever. I just lived through the best, hardest, most joyful, most trying, most miraculous and most awe-inspiring 4 months of my life and all I can say is...


No comments: