Saturday, May 28, 2011

God did that.


He's beautiful and strong. He proved this to us before we ever met him. He persevered during times when my body failed us both and couldn't provide the environment he needed to thrive. God provided.
His life is like the melody of my heart that plays every single day perfectly in tune. Even while I sleep, I dream of the walk we have taken together. God walked with us.
When he sinks into me and the world fades away, my tears cover him. He's taught me gratitude, trust and joy in suffering. God used him for that.
As a new mother unable to cradle my newborn and having to leave him, a piece of my heart was broken and I would ache to feel complete. God healed me.
He graced us with tiny beauty and we marveled. Overcome with a mixture of emotions, we stayed by his side. God was on the other side.
When every breath he takes requires all of his energy and every breath we take is for granted. God supplied the air.
He may not yet know how many prayed for him, but one day he will. We'll tell him the story of how he came to be and maybe then he won't be as embarrassed when I still call him "beautiful". God named him that.
I yearn for him to know how his mama and daddy were lost without Christ leading our every step from the 2nd floor of that hospital to the neonatal intensive care unit many times each day. God knew the way.
We'll always tell this story with a theme: "In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials." We didn't faithfully claim this truth daily. God refines us.
He's beautiful and strong. His eyes tell me there is so much inside and watching that unfold will be his gift to me even if he doesn't realize that. God's gives all good things.
Watching his chest move up and down as he sleeps reminds me of the elation that came after hearing, "His lungs are ok!" when he was born. God gave him breath.
I can never be the same. I can never go back to who my heart defined me as before he entered my world because that would no longer be me. My heart is filled with newness. God made room for that.
Don't let monotony and a schedule overtake your life. Savour their heartbeats and bask in their beauty. God made that child especially for you.
As long as I'm breathing, my baby you'll be.

No comments: