Thursday, August 4, 2011

ZZZZzzzzz




This has struck me as kind of "funny"ever since we brought Landon home from the hospital. In actuality, it's not funny at all but I must laugh over it because it's one of those facts of life that will be a part of my life for a pretty long time I'm certain.

The irony is... being a stay-at-home mom is a tough job. It takes a LOT of patience, planning, time, energy, love and creativity. When you have a little baby, they eat every 2 hours through the night so you and/or your partner NEVER truly get any sleep. The problem with that is, it requires a lot of energy to care for a baby! So Chris and I walked around as zombies for a while until we came up with a system. I took the 9pm-1am shift. Chris
went to bed at 9pm and woke up at 3am. I went to bed at 1am and woke up at 6. We allowed ourselves to get a nice CHUNK of solid sleep so that we could function better throughout the day. That worked great for the couple of months that Landon still ate through the night. Well now that he sleeps 12 hours at night, you would THINK that mommy can get so much extra sleep now and be the best mommy in the world all day!!! The funny part is, now that Landon sleeps so much and I COULD sleep- I can't?! So I'm averaging 3-4 hours a night right now, yet I still need to be that energetic, creative, loving mama that a baby (especially a 6 month old baby) requires! I think it's a phase that will pass, but in the meantime, here I am walking around a much sleepier version of myself when I have all the time in the world to sleep at night! Landon sleeps so much at night, that I miss him terribly. I am really one of those mothers who enjoys every single second with my child. You will never see me get annoyed with him, or aggravated or shushing him or whatever the case might be (and we have been through some trying times). I just really really enjoy him, everything about him. And yes, he is still a baby and yes I only have one :) I realize all of these factors play a huge role in that! Can I just say though, if you do not have babies yet, sleep .. sleep.. and sleep some more my friends. Sleep is the ONLY thing that lacks in your life once children come along. Everything else is magnified with joy immeasurable but the sleep goes far far away :)

Here's to sleep! (If you're getting any!) Oh and if you are, please pass on any secrets to me...

No comments: