All we can do is pray...

I was talking on the phone with my grandmother last week, which has become a pleasant weekly tradition in the last few months, and she said something to me that kind of stuck in the back of my mind for a few days. Why do people say, "All we can do is pray about it!" as if it is some sort of last resort? "The only thing I can do for him or her is pray..." is said so frequently by Christians. I wonder how it makes God feel to know that we are "resorting" to this form of help as if there is nothing else we can do for a person except to pray. Instead, it should be the FIRST and BEST thing we can do for someone! To lift up another in prayer and tell God about how your heart is burdened for a particular person or situation is the most effective, powerful response we are capable of. My grandmother talked about this with me for a few minutes and it really opened my eyes to how frequently I myself say this. The more I thought about it, the more I began to realize that having the ability to speak to God directly, one-on-one with Jesus Christ as my intercessor is the most amazing opportunity I will ever have. And when I speak to God about someone else or something in particular that needs attention, I am doing the BEST possible thing I can do. It's not a last resort. It's not "when all else fails". It's our responsibility as Christian brothers and sisters and it's a priviledge.
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

I was talking on the phone with my grandmother last week, which has become a pleasant weekly tradition in the last few months, and she said something to me that kind of stuck in the back of my mind for a few days. Why do people say, "All we can do is pray about it!" as if it is some sort of last resort? "The only thing I can do for him or her is pray..." is said so frequently by Christians. I wonder how it makes God feel to know that we are "resorting" to this form of help as if there is nothing else we can do for a person except to pray. Instead, it should be the FIRST and BEST thing we can do for someone! To lift up another in prayer and tell God about how your heart is burdened for a particular person or situation is the most effective, powerful response we are capable of. My grandmother talked about this with me for a few minutes and it really opened my eyes to how frequently I myself say this. The more I thought about it, the more I began to realize that having the ability to speak to God directly, one-on-one with Jesus Christ as my intercessor is the most amazing opportunity I will ever have. And when I speak to God about someone else or something in particular that needs attention, I am doing the BEST possible thing I can do. It's not a last resort. It's not "when all else fails". It's our responsibility as Christian brothers and sisters and it's a priviledge.
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16
No comments:
Post a Comment